Support with cooking at our weekly trans youth group sessions as part of our Trans Pathway Project in the North West.
about the role:
Our Trans Pathway Project in the North West offers targeted housing support, emotional wellbeing support, peer support and youth engagement activities. We support trans+ young people which includes non-binary, genderqueer and questioning young people aged 16-25 years old. The team consists of the project manager, the Youth Engagement Worker, and a Floating Support Worker.
This role would be supporting the weekly youth group sessions working with our Youth Workers. There is the opportunity before the sessions start for the young people to arrive early and support the Youth Worker to prepare a meal for the group. The group session then always begins with everyone eating together and ends with everyone helping to clean up afterwards.
We are looking for support with the cooking so that the Youth Workers can also be free to set up the group space and check in with young people as they arrive. There is some flexibility with the role depending on your confidence levels in the different areas, and we are keen to support volunteers to develop their confidence in the role including learning youth & community work skills.
The meals we prepare are all vegetarian (or vegan), and all take less than an hour to prepare and cook. We aim to cook enough for everyone to have one portion to eat in group and to take one portion home with them
- Assist or take a lead on preparing the food for the group at the beginning of the session.
- Assist or take a lead on supporting the young people to develop their cooking skills
- Assist or take a lead on planning meals to meet the dietary needs of the group and within a basic budget.
- Assist or take a lead on shopping for or ordering the ingredients before the session.
- Assist or take a lead on supporting the cleaning of the kitchen and dishes.
- You would be welcome to eat with the group and support the youth work activities that happen after, but this is voluntary
- To attend volunteer supervision on a regular basis
what you’ll gain:
- Experience of working with young people
- Access to ongoing training and development opportunities
- Increased confidence, knowledge and experience in delivering youth group activities
- We can offer you a reference
- Opportunity to be part of the akt team and social opportunities with other volunteers
There is some flexibility with the role. As a minimum we would need a commitment of 1.5 hours a week, however the is scope for this to be anywhere between 1.5 – 4 hours a week.
Please download the full role description for a more detailed breakdown of timings.
The weekly group takes place in Manchester City Centre. Travel expenses will be reimbursed.
Owing to the nature of the role and the young people who attend these sessions, we would love to recruit a volunteer who identifies as trans, non-binary or genderqueer.
Experience of youth work or group work is not essential, we’re looking for an enthusiasm and willingness to learn. We can offer you ‘on-the-job’ training so you feel confident in the role.
Most important is an understanding of the issues that trans communities and young people face.
Any questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org