support once you have a home

We have put together some information on types of support you may be able to access once you have your own home.  


If you have never lived independently before, have experienced a period of homelessness, or need additional support with daily living, managing a home can be overwhelming and challenging.

We have put together some information on types of support you may be able to access once you have your own home.  

Floating Support 

Floating support helps people live independently in their own home. It is usually provided when someone moves into a new home and requires support to set up home or when an individual is having housing difficulties which they need support to resolve.  

Floating support workers usually meet with people in their home and can help with setting up bills, maintaining your home, managing relationships with neighbours and professionals, managing your money and budgeting, staying safe, accessing support services, wellbeing, training & education etc.  

Floating support is often provided by local charities. If you have an open case with akt, you can speak to your caseworker about accessing floating support. If not, you can contact your local council’s housing options teams for help. You can find your local council here Find your local council – GOV.UK ( 

Unfortunately, floating support is not available in all areas so we have included information on other services you may be able to access. 

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice provides free confidential advised to anyone in the UK on a wide range of subjects and issues. They can support with debt and money issues such as budgeting, using a foodbank, rent arrears, and getting help with wills. They can support with welfare rights and benefits and have an online calculator which you can use to check what benefits you may be entitled to. Many local Citizen Advice’s have Welfare Rights workers who may be able to help you apply for benefits. Most local branches provide face to face support, and many operate drop-in services. 

Citizens Advice can also help with housing related issues such as renting, repairs, homelessness, eviction, discrimination, and council tax. Their housing resource can be found below. 

Other areas they can support with include health, legal matters, work and immigration. Most local branches will signpost to other services in your area if they are not the right service to help you.  

Adviceline (England): 0800 144 8848 

Advicelink (Wales): 0800 702 2020 

Scotland: 0800 028 1456 
Citizens Advice Website


Shelter can provide housing advice on issues such as homelessness, deposits, private renting, benefit and money problems, eviction and repairs.  

You can get in touch with them using their webchat if you are in England or Scotland or by phone on 0300 330 1234. 

Housing Associations 

If your rent your property from a housing association then they may be able to provide some support to help you manage your tenancy. Some housing associations have welfare rights workers or people who can help you with finances and budgeting. You can get in touch directly with your housing association to see what support they can provide. 

Social Prescribing 

There are many social prescribing programmes throughout the country. Social Prescribers connect you to activities, groups, and services in your local area to help you with your health and wellbeing. This can be social, practical or emotional support. If you are struggling with managing your tenancy, speak to a social prescriber who may be able to refer you to local supports in your area. You should be able to find out whether there is a social prescribing programme in your area by speaking to your GP.  

Look on our website for further resources on housing and homelessness. 

You can contact us on Live Chat to take through your options.