The UK is going through an energy crisis, meaning that there is currently a shortage of fuel to power things like cars and central heating.  

As a result, some energy providers have collapsed. Customers of these providers will be transferred to new companies and notified. 

The government is also planning to end the temporary £20 Universal Credit increase which was introduced due to Covid. 

All of this means that many people, especially those on a low income, will be concerned about how they can afford to pay bills and keep their homes warm. 

We've put together some useful information if you’re worried about your energy bills, your energy supplier or how to keep your home warm. 

Citizens Advice 

Citizens Advice is the statutory consumer body for energy consumers in Great Britain, meaning that they are commissioned to deliver advice around energy. 

However you pay for your energy, Citizens Advice have lots of useful information on their website, and you can also contact a specialist advisor to discuss your situation in more detail: 

Help for if you're struggling to pay your bills 

Advice for if you can't afford to top-up your prepayment meter  

What to do if your energy supplier goes bust  

Help from suppliers 

Many energy suppliers can offer extra support if you’re vulnerable, including adding you to their Priority Services Register: 

Getting extra support from your energy supplier  

And if you’re on a low income you may be eligible for grants and funding support such as Cold Weather payments and Winter Fuel payments: 

Find out if you're eligible for grants and funding support like Cold Weather payments and Winter Fuel payments  

Help from local authority and charities 

Many local authorities run a Welfare Assistance or Welfare Provision Scheme where they can help people on a low income who are struggling to afford their bills (as well as offering support with furniture and food vouchers). 

End Furniture Poverty have created this great tool where you can search for your local council and it will take you to their Welfare Provision Scheme page: search for your local council's Welfare Provision scheme 

You can also contact Turn2Us, or use their grant finder, to search for hardship funds that are offered by different energy suppliers: search for a hardship fund  

Further information and advice 

The Money Saving Expert is full of tips and advice on how to save money and energy: Money Saving Expert energy tips  

The Mix, who offer essential advice to under 25s, have also got some great articles about how to keep you energy bills down, what to do if you’re anxious about the environment, and how you can become more eco friendly:  

Tips on how to keep your energy bills down  

How to cope with eco-anxiety 

How to make your home more eco-friendly 

If you are a student and are worried about paying your bills, you can talk to your university’s Student Support service – they can offer advice and guidance around budgeting as well as giving you information about hardship funding. 

need support?